Roanoke County Public Schools
1. Name the key responsibilities in your current role
I lead a school division of 27 schools and 13,700 students, including five middle schools.
2. Describe either your professional preparation, experience or achievements
I was the proud principal of Hidden Valley Middle School in Roanoke County, leading that school to be recognized as the first School to Watch west of Richmond. My doctoral work focused included the development of an Innovation Configuration Map focused on middle grades best practice. Three additional Roanoke County middle schools were recognized as Schools to Watch while I served as district Director of Instruction. I am currently president of the Virginia Middle School Association.
3. Describe the biggest challenge you’re currently facing in middle level education
We need to convince state legislators to invest in the critical importance of mental health resources for young adolescents.
4. Share what you do for fun when not in school
I enjoy spending time with my wife and three children as well as playing music and tennis.
5. Tell us why you are a member of AMLE
AMLE is the leading international voice for young adolescent education and I am committed to being a part of that voice.