The AMLE Educator of the Year (previously known as the Distinguished Educator Award) is an annual award given by the Association for Middle Level Education. This award recognizes outstanding practitioners in middle level education—those who have made an impact on the lives of young adolescents with a significant body of work and have advanced the field of middle level education through leadership, vision, and advocacy.
- Candidate must have five or more years of practical application, implementation, influence, or involvement in middle level education at the local level and the state or national level.
- Candidate must be employed in the field of middle level education on a full-time basis.
- Candidate must be a current member of the Association for Middle Level Education and the state/local affiliate.
- Current AMLE staff, Board of Trustees, and selection committee members are not eligible for this award. Past Lounsbury Award and former AMLE Educator of the Year winners also are not eligible.
To Nominate a Candidate
- Candidates may nominate themselves or be nominated by colleagues or members of the community. If you nominate a candidate, please notify them of their nomination.
- Complete the AMLE Educator of the Year form by April 28, 2017 for consideration during the current year.
Download Nomination Form
- Upon certification of selection criteria, candidates will be mailed an AMLE Educator of the Year nominee form.
- Candidate must submit a narrative that speaks directly to at least three of the following traits. Narratives describing all three traits can be no more than 1500 words in length.
- Positively impacting the lives of young adolescents on a daily basis
- Implementing middle level change and reform at the local level and state or national level
- Implementing recommendations outlined in This We Believe
- Mentoring, coaching, or teaching educators in middle level practice and philosophy
- Providing knowledge, advocacy, and support to the middle level movement
- Exhibiting exceptional leadership at the local level as well as the state or national level
- Providing a voice for middle level throughout your school, district, and state or national level.
- Expressing middle level beliefs via written or oral communication at the state and/or national level.
- Candidate must submit a resume (two page) that details his or her experience, history, or awards in middle level education.
- Candidate can submit up to ten one-sided examples of supporting documentation, which must include at least four letters of recommendation, one of which is from the nominee's immediate supervisor, one from a student, former student or parent, and one from the state/local affiliate. Other examples can include newspaper clippings, programs, sample writings, or other pertinent material.
- Complete the AMLE Educator of the Year nominee form, include additional materials, and submit to the AMLE office by the published due date.
The Committee's sole function is to consider nominations for the award and make a recommendation to the AMLE Board of Trustees.
- The selection committee shall be comprised of up to five (5) members:
3–Current AMLE members of varying job responsibilities (Non-Board)
1–The current President-Elect
Note: A current AMLE staff member will serve on an ex-officio basis
- Chair of the committee shall be the President-Elect. The President will appoint the committee members.
- Committee members serve a one-year term.
- Members of the award selection committee may not nominate candidates.
- A Call for Nominations will be made at least once per year in an appropriate AMLE publication and on the website.
- All nominations will be sent to AMLE headquarters, dated, checked for required information, and filed with the committee chair for consideration by the committee. Headquarters will notify the nominator that the nomination has been received.
- The annual deadline for receipt of nominations is the last week of April. The selection committee will determine the specific date.
- The AMLE liaison will send the nominee materials to the selection committee members for review.
- The selection committee will teleconference to determine the recommendation for the current year's Award recipient.
- The chair will inform the Board of the committee's recommendation and the Board will make the final determination of the year's Award recipient.
- The recipient and nominator will be notified by the end of July.
- Applications will be kept on file for three years.
The Award recipient shall receive the following:
- A plaque that will be presented at the Association for Middle Level Education annual conference
- A one-year individual membership to the Association for Middle Level Education
- Complimentary registration and lodging to the annual conference at which the award will be presented
- $1,000 cash award from the AMLE Foundation Fund