Restorative Practices 101 Workshop
March 24, 2023 | Washington, D.C.
8:30 am – 4:00 pm
Are you struggling with student behavior? Or finding a lack of results with your current classroom management and discipline practices? Restorative and positive discipline practices can offer strategies to help while fostering a sense of belonging and safety for students. Join us for this one-day workshop where we’ll identify and explore these concepts, leaving you with concrete tools you can employ the next day to the benefit of your students and school communities.
Friendship Southeast Elementary and Middle School
645 Milwaukee Pl. SE
Washington, D.C. 20032
What you’ll gain
- The “why” behind restorative practices, and how they can have a positive impact on classroom management and student behavior.
- The tools you need to prioritize a positive and equitable approach to discipline that promotes your students’ academic and emotional success.
- Trauma-informed strategies for de-escalation and self-regulation with students.
- Tactics you can use to keep “small situations small,” avoiding the need for fear-based approaches
- Take-home resources like 101 Circle Prompts to get you started with restorative circles, a classroom poster for circle commitments/expectations, and classroom SEL activities around Brain Breaks and Mindfulness Strategies
Who should attend?
- The Workshop content is appropriate for all educators who work with adolescent learners, including teachers, counselors, and administrators.
Bestselling author of Hacking School Discipline, founder of Restorative Group, and former youth worker and school administrator
Veteran educator, SEL and behavioral specialist
8:30-9:00 | Welcome
9:00 – 10:30 | Setting the Stage with the “Why” and How can Restorative Practices Support
10:30-10:40 | Break
Late Morning Session
- Leveraging the Neuroscience behind adolescent development toward positive Discipline & Trauma-Informed Practices that work
- Turn-Key Strategies
12:10-1:10 | Lunch
Early Afternoon Session
- Proactive Strategies
- Strategies to Strengthen Relationships with and Among Students
2:20-2:30 | Break
Late Afternoon | Processing and Action Planning