Assistant Principal of Instruction
Plaquemine High School
1. Name the key responsibilities in your current role
My key responsibilities include:
- Successful curriculum implementation in math, ELA, and science
- Effective two-way communication between school and home
- Impactful teaming and collaborative meetings with like content teachers and across grade levels
2. Describe either your professional preparation, experience or achievements
I graduated with a degree in Sociology with a concentration in Criminology and a minor in African and African American Studies. I transitioned to an alternative teaching certification program where I also obtained my Masters. I also completed the coursework for an educational leadership certification. Lastly, I obtained a doctoral degree in Educational Leadership where my study centered around principal behaviors that led a Title I school from being labeled a failing school to a top gains school within a four year period.
3. Describe the biggest challenge you're currently facing in middle level education
Some the biggest challenges I am currently facing in middle level education is lack of parental support and the negative effects of social media. At my school, we are struggling with parents supporting decisions made at the school level and how and when to teach social media etiquette.
4. Share what you do for fun when not in school
When I am not in school, I enjoy reading books and poems from the Harlem Renaissance and taking long relaxing naps!
5. Tell us why you are a member of AMLE
I am a member of AMLE, because I want to be a member of an organization that solely focuses their current research, professional development, and resources toward middle level education. I also enjoy connecting with fellow educators in my field who work with these students by expanding my PLC/PLN.