Why, How, and 200+ Sample Advisories
A carefully designed middle school advisory program starts the day by building social and academic competency for students. This comprehensive guidebook offers the combined wisdom of researchers and dozens of middle grades teachers about how to use advisory to meet the developmental needs of young adolescents so they can thrive in school.
Two Advisory Formats:
Circle of Power and Respect (CPR) and Activity Plus (A+)
Use them at the start of every day to build community, teach social skills, and increase student engagement in learning.
The Advisory Book includes:
- An introduction to young adolescent developmental needs, including supporting research
- A clear explanation of how to introduce the elements of CPR and A+, including modeling and practicing and steps toward increasing levels of challenge
- Frequently asked questions and answers
- 200+ sample days of advisory in thematic units
- 200+ activities, greetings, sharing ideas, and daily messages
The Advisory Book provides everything you need to boost the effectiveness of advisory time and improve learning throughout the day. Imagine a full year of advisory meetings, planned and ready to go, and ideas from which you can pick and choose to create hundreds more!
"The Advisory Book is a treasure trove of information that reflects a precise understanding of middle schoolers’ needs and of what motivates them cognitively and socially. It’s simply the best book of its kind available anywhere."
Chip Wood, Co-creator of Responsive Classroom and author of Yardsticks: Children in the Classroom 4-14