The bestselling text on middle level teaching and learning is now better than ever!
Middle level researchers Dave Brown and Trudy Knowles have updated their bestselling classic What Every Middle School Teacher Should Know with more student voice as well as timely new research, strategies, and models that illuminate the philosophies and practices that best serve the needs of young adolescents. Once again a comprehensive description of truly responsive middle level teaching, the Third Edition features:
- the latest discoveries in neuroscience that inform practical strategies for improving student learning
- the most recent research on physical, socio-emotional, cognitive, and identity developmental processes
- the impact of technology and social media on students’ lives and learning
- new research in middle level education supporting the development of genuine middle schools
- concrete ways to meet new content standards while implementing true curriculum integration
- explicit ways teachers can make the transition from theory to practice in their own classrooms.
Stories of teachers who have embraced curriculum integration, alternative assessment, democratic classrooms, and dynamic learning experiences inspire others to champion the middle school philosophy, while the voices of students help us understand young adolescents’ needs and perspectives.
Why a Third Edition?
A lot has changed since middle school experts Brown and Knowles wrote the previous edition in 2007. Kids’ lives are now saturated with technology. Teachers are more stressed. And there’s been MUCH more research on adolescent development since then.
The Third Edition address all this and more.