Applicants should posses a bachelor's degree in accounting and have at least 3-5 years' experience, preferably with a non-profit or small staff organization. Applicants must have direct experience with financial statement preparation and reporting, defining policies and procedures, payables, receivables, budget development and fiscal compliance.
The new Accounting Manager will be responsible for assisting the Chief Executive Officer with financial management oversight along with the management of the accounting and budget functions of the Association.
Examples of responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Financial Management
- Develop, direct and manage goals, policies, priorities and practices relating to all aspects of financial management.
- Ensure sound fiscal compliance with federal, state and local laws and record retention requirements.
- Establish accounting policies, procedures and internal controls consistent with GAAP in all accounting areas including general ledger; accounts payable, accounts receivable, order processing, inventory and fixed assets.
- Manage relationships and outcomes with external suppliers which support the Association's financial management functions including external audits, investment advisors; and banking institutions in collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer.
- Monitor cash levels, investments and grant funding (if applicable); update Cash Summary Schedule daily, take deposits to bank if needed, transfer funds from savings/investment accounts into operating accounts when needed; follow investment policy and provide required reports for Audit and Finance Committee.
- Serve as association Treasurer.
- Accounting Management
- General Accounting
- Responsible for the month end closing process which includes account analysis, bank reconciliations; general ledger entries, deferred revenue calculations and other allocations and reconciliations.
- Prepare and distribute the monthly financial statement package which includes Balance Sheet; Statement of Revenue which includes budget and prior year comparisons on an organizational, departmental, project and functional basis; key data, and trend info. Also provide narrative explaining variances.
- Report and analyze various financial data as needed.
- Provide all required financial reports to external organizations including bankers, D&B; government agencies; contributors, grantors and general public.
- Serve as liaison with the external auditors; manage the audit process including preparation of the audit schedules, issue resolution, review of the audit draft and ensuring successful and timely completion of the annual audit/review.
- Responsible for all grant reporting if applicable.
- Serve as liaison with tax accountants; gather and report financial information to tax accountants for the 990 and 990T tax returns and review final returns.
- Prepare Foundation financial reports and detail donation schedules.
- Prepare monthly Trustee Reports.
- Responsible for the Daily Posting of batches from CRM to GP and work with Chief Operating Officer on Great Plains and CRM system issues.
- Prepare the Daily Sales Report.
- Accounts Payable
- Manage the accounts payable function and verify that all transactions are properly accounted for; polices are being followed and invoices paid on time.
- Responsible for determining independent contractor status, acquiring Federal ID numbers and processing yearly 1099 and 1096.
- Reconcile inventory balances monthly. Verifies accurate costing of products and reviews adjustments; damaged books and returns.
- Responsible for the successful completion of the year end physical inventory which includes working with staff, the warehouse, and book fulfillment; setting up count sheets, calculating adjustments and preparing final summaries.
- Analyzes inventory turns and works with directors in identifying obsolete books and properly accounting for them in the Ledger.
- Fixed Assets
- Mange the accounting and record keeping function of all fixed asset transactions including the work in progress account; additions and disposals. Verify reports agree to Ledger.
- Responsible for the safekeeping of physical assets.
- Prepare Credit Applications.
- Ensure compliance for record retention of all financial and human resources records. Maintain numbering system and log and authorizing storage and destroying records.
- Responsible for the safe keeping of assets and that sensitive data is kept in locked files.
- Maintains petty cash box and prepares reconciliations and replenishment.
- Responsible for filing the sales tax return.
- Responsible for annual renewal of general insurance and conference insurance.
- Prepare yearly royalties for book authors.
- Budget Management
- Responsible for the set- up, data entry and reporting of budget data.
- Liaison for staff in assisting them in developing and reviewing their budgets.
- Analyze budget statements to improve the bottom line and provide explanations for any large variances to actual spending and current year budget.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in the position and how your skills match the position to Derek Neal at email@example.com by March 1, 2020.